This is my journal on documenting love, finding joy, and living life to the fullest. I'm so glad you're here, and hope you enjoy your stay!
This is my journal on documenting love,
finding joy, and living life to the fullest. I'm so glad you're here, and hope you enjoy your stay!
Those who are superstitious can call me crazy, but thirteen has always been my lucky number. Several years ago, I thought that it might be cool to get married in 2013 as a nod to my lucky number, but the thought was quickly fleeting since I didn’t have a love interest at the time. Well, it’s funny how things work out like that, don’t you think? :)
So much can happen in the span of 365 days, and 2013 proved why I’ve always had an affection for the number 13. It truly was the best year ever. I had the surprise proposal story that I’ve always dreamed of (read more here). Then, on the most beautiful November afternoon, surrounded by our closest friends and family under a canopy of live oak trees dripping with spanish moss, I married my soul mate. The wedding was more than I could have ever hoped for and the memories from that day will stay fresh in my mind for a long time (read more here).
As for JSP, well I couldn’t be happier with where the business is going! I booked 23 weddings last year, well above my target of 20. I traveled all over North and South Carolina to shoot weddings, but also went to Indiana, a new state on the JSP coverage map! I was accepted as a Blue Ribbon Vendor for Southern Weddings Magazine, and published in numerous wedding blogs. Then, I rounded out the year by photographing a Christmas wedding at Biltmore, one of my bucket list goals.
With another new year stretching out before us with unknown possibilities, I am humbled and so thankful for this path that has been chosen for me. I can’t wait to see what 2014 has to offer!
(photo credit to our super sweet and so amazing photographer, Amy Arrington Photography)
In light of a new year, I would also like to share some of my goals for 2014.
– Get healthy. I know this is such a cliche goal/resolution, but as I approach the big 3-0 (yikes!), I would like to feel really good about my health. I don’t want to lose weight and I’ve never been the type to enjoy going to the gym, but I do want to eat less processed junk and more fresh foods, get outside more often, exercise more, and sit less.
– Speaking of sitting less, B & I both want to spend less time behind screens (phones, computers, and TVs). It’s amazing how much time is wasted with Facebook, Instagram, and my nemisis, online shopping. We agreed to read before bed instead of zoning out on the couch, to spend more time on hobbies and personal projects instead of movie marathons on weekends, and I may even incorporate some social media fasting throughout the year.
– Deal with paper immediately. This has always been a bad habit for me. I keep receipts, notes, cards, mail, and it junks up my space. I’m going to attempt to trash, sort, and organize all paper when I get it to keep my life simple and organized.
– Weekly lunch/dinner dates with my family. After moving up to BR, my visits to Greenville were planned for grocery shopping and errands. I want to make more time for trips to my parents just to spend quality time with them.
– Keep dating my husband.
– Find a new church with B.
– Try new things including cooking a different recipe from one of our many cookbooks once a week.
– Take vacation whenever possible. Life is short, so we need to enjoy it while we can!
– This is a big one for JSP…find our first intern! As the business has grown, there are tasks that take up a lot of my time when I could be doing more productive things. I’m excited to announce that I will soon be searching for an intern for the spring/summer 2014 wedding season. Details on how to apply coming soon!
– Stick to my posted business hours. Wedding season can get the best of me sometimes, and I know how I become a slave to my computer. I want to make a conscious effort in 2014 to open and close for business, so my off-hours can be devoted to enjoying life with my husband, family, and friends.
– Blog more personal stories. When I first started the blog, I was so much better at this. Probably because I didn’t have as many weddings to post and needed the filler. ;) But I would love to get back into regular postings about my life: goals, recipes, projects, adventures, etc.
– Book a wedding in a new state. ::fingers crossed!::
– Submit more weddings for publication.
– Stay organized and efficient in the office so I can serve my clients well.
So, there you have it. We’ll see at the end of the year how I did. What about you? Do you have any New Year’s Resolutions or goals to accomplish? Did you have an amazing 2013 as well? Share your thoughts in the comments!
Follow along for more of my life, recent work, and everything in between.
I was born on Friday the 13th and always knew it would be a huge year for me as well!! After marrying my soul mate in 2012 to finding out about our first child, 2013 was the best!! Thanks for this inspiring blog I want to make many of these goals for myself and my business! Good luck this year and congrats on your new marriage :)